Perlen der Informatik
- Modul IN2148
- Mittwoch 10:15 - 11:45 in MI 03.09.014
- Beginn: 18.10.2017
- Sprache: Deutsch oder Englisch nach Vereinbarung
- The following cancellations during the semester are to be noted:
- 1.11. (holiday)
- Dec 21: Presentation doodle, the overview of the chapters content
- Oct 25: The schedule has been updated.
- The lecture is centered around the book Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter.
- It deals with fundamentals of computer science and mathematical thinking. In some sense, it is a deliberate introduction to basic notions such as computation, recursion, proof, formal system, consistence and completeness of logic, undecidability, artificial intelligence, on which computer science relies.
- The book has been described as "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll" or as the journal Scientific American stated, "Every few decades, an unknown author brings out a book of such depth, clarity, range, wit, beauty and originality that it is recognized at once as a major literary event."
- A selection of its topics has been covered in an advanced high school seminar organized by MIT.